If you’re considering eloping on Vancouver Island, you’re in for a treat! With its stunning natural beauty, laid-back atmosphere, and countless romantic spots, Vancouver Island is the perfect place to say “I do” in an intimate and memorable way. But planning an elopement can be a daunting task, especially if you’re not sure where to start. That’s why we’ve put together these tips to help you plan an elopement on Vancouver Island.
Vancouver Island is a beautiful and romantic destination for couples looking to elope. Whether you’re seeking a secluded beach, a breathtaking mountain view, or a cozy forest setting, Vancouver Island has it all.
First things first, let’s define what we mean by “elopement.” An elopement is a type of wedding where the couple chooses to exchange vows in a small, private ceremony, with a very limited guest list. This could be in a secluded spot in nature, at a scenic overlook, or even at a courthouse. The important thing is that the focus is on the couple and their love for each other, rather than on the traditional trappings of a big wedding.
Here are some tips to help you plan the ultimate elopement on Vancouver Island:
- Choose the perfect location. But where to start you might ask? Good question. Vancouver Island is home to many stunning elopement locations, including Tofino, the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve, Strathcona Provincial Park, Elk Falls Provincial Park, Mt. Washington, the Comox Valley and much MUCH more. Consider the type of scenery you and your partner want, as well as any permits or reservations that may be required.
- Decide on the details. Will you have a small ceremony with just the two of you, or do you want to invite a few close friends and family members? Will you have a formal reception, or would you prefer a more intimate dinner for two?
- Plan for the weather. Vancouver Island has a temperate climate, but it can be rainy and chilly, especially in the winter. Have a rain plan, does your venue have indoor options? Does your photographer have an indoor studio booked? If you’re willing to embrace the rain you could consider buying your wedding party clear umbrellas for a cool photo op outside! Make sure to pack appropriate clothing and consider renting a cozy cabin or booking a venue with indoor options.
- Book your vendors. Once you’ve decided on the details of your elopement, it’s time to book your vendors. This could include a photographer, a musician or officiant, and a florist or decorator.The timeline for booking vendors for an elopement wedding can vary depending on the specific details of your wedding, but generally, it is recommended to book vendors as soon as you have a date and location confirmed.
- Here’s a general timeline for booking vendors for an elopement wedding:
- 12-18 months before the wedding: Secure the ceremony and reception venues, wedding planner or coordinators
- 8-12 months before the wedding: Book the officiant, photographer, videographer, florist, and any other decor or rental vendors.
- 6-8 months before the wedding: Book the catering, cake, and any other food-related vendors.
- 4-6 months before the wedding: Book hair and makeup artists, transportation, and any other necessary vendors.
- 2-4 months before the wedding: Finalize details with all vendors and create a detailed day-of timeline.
- 1-2 months before the wedding: finalize the guest list, send out invitations, and confirm final headcounts with vendors.
- Keep in mind that this timeline is a general guide and some vendors like photographer and videographer may book out quickly, so it’s best to book them as soon as you can.
- Don’t forget the paperwork. In order to legally elope on Vancouver Island, you will need to obtain a marriage license within 3 months before your wedding date. It is specified that you must apply in person and the cost is $100. Be sure to allow enough time to complete this process before your elopement date. You can check out the BC Government’s website for more information.
Overall, planning an elopement on Vancouver Island can be an exciting and romantic adventure. With a little planning and preparation, you can create the perfect day to celebrate your love and commitment to one another.
Are you looking for a unique and intimate way to celebrate your love? Consider eloping! And when it comes to capturing the magic of your special day, trust the experienced professionals at Erin Laye Photography to provide you with beautiful and timeless photographs that you’ll cherish for a lifetime. Contact us today to learn more and book your elopement photography session. Don’t let this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity pass you by – call now!